W. MARK SHIRLEY, CPA – PRESIDENT & FOUNDER
Prior to forming WM Shirley, Mark was with Arthur Andersen’s Audit & Business Advisory Practice for 14 years (80-94), starting in the Houston Office in 1980, and admitted as Partner in 1991, in Andersen’s Toronto, Canada Office (87-92) before returning to the Houston Office in 1992.
During his 14 years with Andersen, Mark served on and led many Audit & Business Advisory engagements within a diverse base of clients including Enron, Texaco, Mitchell Energy, American Exploration, Estée Lauder, Canadian Gypsum Corporation (a subsidiary of USG, the largest wallboard maker in North America), Thomson SA Consumer Electronics (RCA/GE)-Canadian Division, Royal Doulton-Canada, and many others. Mark was also active in recruiting and business development at Andersen; one year Mark was honored to serve 7 new Andersen clients working with a variety CFOs and Controllers in various industries along the way. WM Shirley’s business is reflective of this diverse client base also. In addition to serving hundreds of Clients & Candidates with Executive Recruiting and Project Accounting Services since 1994, Mark has served as an Expert Witness for CFO compensation and severance matters.
Mark and Julie, Mark’s wife since 1982, are native Texans and members of Houston’s First Baptist Church – Cypress Campus. Mark enjoys spending time with Julie, serving their Church, including attending weekly Bible Studies, spending time with their 3 sons, their wives & grandchildren, hunting, fishing, golfing, playing corn hole and board games with family & friends.
Mark is or has been involved in many different organizations in Greater Houston Area, including the following:
- Houston CPA Society – Past Vice Chair for the Make-A-Wish Golf Tournament; Founder and Past Chair of the Northwest Satellite Group; Past Public Relations Committee Member; and Recipient of the following Houston CPA Society Awards: Outstanding Committee – Annual Golf Classic, Distinguished Public Service, Presidential Citation and Outstanding Public Relations.
- Texas Society of CPAs – Member
- AICPA – Member
- Houston Live Stock Show & Rodeo aka RodeoHouston – Ticket Services Committee Founding Member and Team Captain
- Cy-Fair Houston Chamber of Commerce – Member
- Association for Corporate Growth – Member
- Cypress – Fairbanks Educational Foundation -Past Trustee – Executive Committee & Past Golf Committee Chair
- Cy-Fair Lacrosse Association – Past President, Ironmen Varsity Boys and Iron Eagles Middle School Boys Teams
- Metropolitan Baptist Church – Past Men’s Ministry Director, and Sunday School Director
- 100 Club – Life Member
- Faithbridge Church – Past Member and Small Group Leader
- Connecting Businessmen to Christ (“CBMC”) – Past Greater Houston Prayer Breakfast Committee
- Miracle Farm in Brenham – Past Houston Development Council Member
- KSBJ 89.3 FM – Past Board Member and Secretary-Treasurer